Wednesday, April 25, 2007

McCain is In!

This may come as a surprise to some of you. John McCain announced he is running for president today. I wonder what he calls the last six months or so he has spent in Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina.

McCain is an interesting fellow. Truly, a great American. That said, it is rare to hear a conservative say anything good about him.
My feelings on McCain are mixed. In some ways, I have warmed to him lately. This is mainly due to his unwavering support for winning in Iraq. This is not the popular position, and I admire his courage advocating for it. Also to his credit, McCain has been a budget hawk and has a sterling pro-life record. On the other hand, McCain has shown poor judgment and a real lack of wisdom advocating for campaign finance reform, teaming with Ted Kennedy on immigration reform, and orchestrating the "gang of 14" which seriously hampered the Presidents ability to nominate conservative judges long term.

All that said. If McCain is the nominee, and I doubt he will be (I hope to expound later), I will gladly support him. If he is right on nothing else, he is right on the major issue of our time.

-NT

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let's all come to a realization here, if McCain is our main go-to man in 2008. The GOP have begun to melt in the hands of the DFL.