Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Why the Fred Thompson Hype?

Fred Thompson is running third in most of the polling right now for the GOP nomination. I don't quite get all the hype. Matt Lewis from Townhall.com gives a great explanation that mirrors my thinking on Thompson.

I keep trying to self-analyze exactly why I'm not buying into the Fred Thompson hype.

Logically, I would argue that 1. His popularity has more to do with discontent over the current crop of GOP candidates than with him, and 2. His record, while fine, is not substantially more conservative than the other candidates.

So it appears to me that the main thing a lot of conservatives like about him is ... style.

You can read his entire article by clicking on the above link. Please share you thoughts on Thompson by posting a comment. The New Right hopes to get out a complete assessment of the GOP and Democratic Presidential fields in the near future.

-NT

1 comment:

SR said...

I get the feeling that, to many Republicans, Fred Thompson = Ronald Reagan.

We're seeing the current GOP candidates try to draw upon this legacy, especially Mitt Romney.