Friday, June 15, 2007

Weekend Reading

It looks like the Senate will be reviving the immigration bill this upcoming week. Without massive changes, this bill should be buried. Again, I am really surprised by many Republican Senators who don't understand why this upsets Americans. They know better than us commoners I guess. Read about it here.

Planned Parenthood had its best year yet last year, performing a record number of abortion and taking in a record amount of revenue. This group, started by the rebid racist Margaret Sanger, is a terrible force in this country. Read more about it here. Also, on the topic of abortion, read this story about Mitt Romney addressing the National Right to Life's annual convention. Sounds like Romney won over most of the crowd. While some remain skeptical of his conversion to the pro life cause, line like this will satisfy most people, "
I am evidence that your work, that your relentless campaign to promote the sanctity of human life, bears fruit."

Here is a disturbing trend. UCLA offers all sorts of different graduations. For instance, there is a Vietnamese, Filipino, Hispanic and Iranian commencement. One of the terrible byproducts of the multicultural movement is things like this. We are rapidly moving to a society that is more and more stratified and divided along racial and ethnic lines. Read about UCLA's multiple graduations here.

Now for a couple of local Minnesota items. It is not often I agree with a DFL member of the MN State Legislature, but here is one. Representative John Lesch of St. Paul is going to introduce a bill banning five breeds of particularly dangerous dogs. I couldn't agree with him more. Plainly, certain breeds of dogs are especially dangerous in comparison with other dogs. I can think of no good reason to justify defending peoples right to own these dogs. Get a lab, or a golden retriever. I challenge anybody to give me one good reason to own a pit bull. I am sure some of you disagree with me. Tell me why I am wrong. Read more about Rep. Lesch's bill here.

Finally, read this column by Nick Coleman of the Star Tribune criticizing the Minneapolis City Council for passing stricter measures on panhandlers. Try not to puke. I am a big supporter of this types of "livability" laws. For example, cracking down on the "squeegee men," graffiti, and other petty crimes in New York City led to a big drop in overall crime, especially considering these panhandlers are often involved in other violent crime. Anybody want to stick up for the panhandlers?

Please leave your thoughts in a comment!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I seldom give Rudy Giuliani any credit. (not because I think he does not deserve it, but I don't want people thinking he should be President.) New York City (especially Manhattan) is a safe place to visit or live because his city administration cracked down, not just on murderers, rapists, and drug dealers, but also on vagrants, petty thieves, and vandals. I am no expert on criminology, but to me crime is like baseball; the petty crimes are like the minor leagues, you go from vandalizing (A) to breaking and entering (AA) to drug dealing(AAA) to murder (Majors). If you stop them before they get out of rookie ball they will never make it to the big leagues. Also I heard the city spent millions simply fixing windows and painting graffiti, wherever they did that, crime stopped. The animals in the gangs had nowhere to mark their territory. So much could be written and analyzed about what was done in NYC. What I do not understand is how come we still have panhandlers if the liberals have spent more on their war on poverty than we ever will on Iraq. Maybe we should withdraw.

-Johann

Anonymous said...

NT,

We should send an email in response to the the star tribune artical and post it here.

jb.

Anonymous said...

Great job planned parenthood. You just killed a record number of helpless children. Congrats. Maybe I need to start seeing it as a way to protect helpless kids from having to live in this world where people worry more about their pets than their other human counterparts starving in the rest of the world.

I am starting a petition to ban all pets. Anyone with me. We will take the money saved and give it to the panhandlers. Vets will have to find a new job I gues which will cut down on money flow.

Anonymous said...

Not sure if it should be a state law..perhaps city ordinances. I dislike dogs, mainly because of two reasons. First they are extremely volatile and unpredictable. Second really isn't a problem of the dog but rather the owners themselves. There's nothing worse than walking around your neighborhood and having a barking growling dog running out into the street at you. This then brings me back to my first reason- what's that dog going to do?
NT, you know I agree with you. Pitbulls and Rots are probably two of the most worthless lifeforms on the planet.