Friday, May 18, 2007

Ecclectic Friday


Great discussion in some of the previous posts. Thanks for commenting.

Here are a bunch of links rapid fire.

This article talks about the new demographic racial gap that is emerging in the U.S. i.e. The younger population is disproportionately non-white.

This transitions nicely into the immigration bill passed yesterday. As far as I can tell, this could be a career killer for some of those who voted for this. If I was McCain, I wouldn't brag about this. This could be the end of his recent surge. Read about the bill here. Read about Romney's rebuke of the bill here. I think this is a terrible bill. I do think it is better than what the current situation is, but it is certainly not the best situation.

Here are two articles in tribute to Jerry Falwell, written by Michael Medved. If you are not sure what to make of Falwell and his legacy, give these a read. As I have said, despite several public gaffes, his influence on the nation was an overall positive. Read the articles here and here.

Finally, a couple of notes on global warming. First, here is a report from the US Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works that points out how many prominent scientists are changing there opinions on global warming to being more skeptical. To the other extreme, Green Peace is apparently building another Noah's Ark to raise awareness of global warming. I am not sure who they think hasn't heard about it yet.

4 comments:

Anonymous_Me said...

I would only vote for McCain in a general election.

Anonymous said...

I am going to play devil's advocate on this one...I want to hear what people think.
I, too, am somewhat skeptical of global warming. However, I find it hard to believe that industrialization has had no effect on the ecosystems on Earth. I want your comments.

Anonymous said...

Does McCain have a goiter? I can't stop staring at it.

NT said...

EP,

First, hilarious comment about the goiter. Keep it coming.

As for global warming, I can believe that industrialization has had some effect on the environment, but I can not think it to be too major if it is really true that cow farts generate more CO 2 than factories and other man-made things.

I certainly hope we lose our dependence on foreign oil, and it is smart, and Christian I believe, not to be wasteful. I just don't want us all to have to live like we are in the stone age to prevent the catastrophes that the scare-mongers predict.