Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Muslims Happy in US?


The Minneapolis Star Tribune currently is running a story on a Pew Research Poll of Muslim's in America. The headline: "Poll: U.S. Muslims 'largely assimilated, happy.' Sounds great right? It is true that American Muslims are better adjusted than their European counterparts. But wait . . . buried deep in the story is this little fact. One quarter of American Muslims think that suicide bombing is sometimes justified. What!!!! First of all, this is surprising coming from the "religion of peace." Second of all, how does the Star Tribune run a piece with a rosy headline and story when the poll shows that one in four American Muslims believe in suicide bombing? That should be the headline. I have seen some bad journalism at the Star Tribune, but this perhaps takes the case. Read the story here. Be sure to post your thoughts.

For even more on the Romney-McCain immigration spat, read here.

On a lighter note, John Edwards charged the University of California - Davis $55,000 to give a speech on poverty. I am sure it was a great speech. Read about it here.

Finally, another question for the audience. I heard a piece on the radio this morning discussing which country, if you could only pick one, would you allow immigrants from. So, I pose that question to The New Right's loyal readers. If you had to choose one, and only one country to allow immigrants from, what would it be and why. Post away. Lets set a comments record today.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is outrageous. Can you imagine what outcry would occur if even a fraction of a percent of Christians stated that suicide bombings were ok?

About the country. I haven't decided yet, but countries with people having showing a lot of self initiative should be considered. Those are the kind of people we need to maintain and advance our country, not lazy peoples who expect the government to carry them. The people considered must want to assimilate.


- Jethro

Anonymous said...

I think that Keith Ellison must be one of the editors of the StarLiberune. I choose England, Austrailia, Canada and any country of immigrants that speak English OR that are willing to assimilate into the American culture and speak the language (English).

How tolerant would Muslims be if I went to Saudi Arabia and tried to build a Christian church and preach the Gospel? I suspect that I wouldn't live to see the next day.

- Jarrod

Michael Rue said...

The Star Tribune has been hoodwinking people for years. I am even beginning to think that when they went to a new look and a new font there intent was to create a diversion for making liberalism and tolerance litterally look better.

Have Edwards and Gore signed a treaty or started a competition on contradicting themselves? Gore with his "Inconvienent Truth" about his personal property energy bill, and Edwards speaking to a college on poverty?? At least with that check he'll be able to scrounge out another 137.5 haircuts!

And as far as the country I would choose...my answer would obviously have to be Texas. They are friendly, have good food, the only terrorist organizations they harbor are cults that destroy themselves, and well, our country could do well with that Walker, Texas Ranger guy cleaning things up.

NT said...

I am dissapointed we don't have more posts, so I'd better lead by example.

I like Jarrod's choice of only allowing immigrants from English speaking countries. Naturally, we share similar cultures and there is no communication gap.

Coming in at a close second is Poland, or perhaps a few other Eastern European countries where people tend to be hardworking, a bit more traditional, and having endured tough days behind the Iron Curtain, may really appreciate being here.

Anonymous said...

I believe the poll was for muslims under age 30. I also believe another poll showed muslims over 30 are 82% anti- suicide bombings.

Anonymous said...

Great. If that % is correct then ONLY 18% believe it is right to blow themselves up while taking as many people with them as possible. That is so reassuring to me. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I would agree with NT on eastern europeans as immigrants from non-english speaking countries. There are over 20,000 slavic immigrants living in my city of 200,000,and they seem to be very successful, hardworking and grateful to be in this country. And I haven't noticed any schools teaching Russian here...interesting. The Government should really provide a russian speaking school for this large population, don't you think?

-JT

NT said...

JT,

I disagree. We don't need Russian programs. That is a dying language. Immigrants who speak Russian need to learn English. Plus, you are stretching Eastern Europe a little far East aren't you. Haha.

Anonymous said...

NT,

Agreed! obviouly that would be rediculous...

-JT

Anonymous said...

My initial thought was for Poland.
Another subject. I personally look forward to NT's bid for the presidency 3 terms from now. I'm sure you will landslide against Chelsea Clinton, or some loser Kennedy.

- Jethro

Michael Rue said...

I agree with Jethro's last comment. NT has my vote based on issues content, charisma, good looks, and a charming smile.

Michael Rue said...

You might want to check out the first 11 minutes or so of Dr. Albert Mohler's radio program from Wednesday. He actually comments on this article about the Muslims being happy. Check it out here:

http://www.albertmohler.com/radio_show.php?cdate=2007-05-23

Good comments.