Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Falwell's Death, Bloomberg, and Tonight's Debate!


As many of you have likely heard, Jerry Falwell, age 73 was found dead today in his office. Falwell was a controversial character. I have heard many valid criticisms of him. However, he was certainly a man of many accomplishments. He deserves great credit for helping turn the "religious right" into a political force. Without this movement, politics would be a much different place today, from rhetoric to policy. He also leaves a legacy with his huge church and the university he founded. Falwell, though easily baited into saying controversial things, surely made an impact that I would argue was largely good. In every TV interview I saw Falwell give (I don't think he turned many down) he always boldly and truly proclaimed the Christian Gospel. I would love to hear what you think Falwell's legacy will be, good or bad.

Earlier this week I posted about the possibility of Mayor of New York, Michael Bloomberg, running for President. A story today is reporting that Bloomberg is willing to spend up to one billion dollars of his own fortune on a run. One could run a credible campaign on probable a third of that. There is little chance he could win, but if he runs he could make a real dent in the race. Come this January, everyone is likely to be pretty tired of their choices.

Finally, be sure to tune into Fox News tonight for the second Republican Debate tonight live from South Carolina. I will put up a posting tomorrow morning so everyone can comment on who had the best night. I am actually here in South Carolina today, so if I can get any read on what the locals are thinking, I will pass that along.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I continue to be impressed with Duncan Hunter. I was impressed with Mitt, especially his appearance on Hannity and Colmes.
I think they need to reduce the field for the next debates, in particular, it's time for Ron Paul to get some rest. I'd like to hear what Uncle Trick has to say. Let's hope he chimes in.
- Jethro

Uncle Trick said...

I agree with Jethro about Duncan Hunter and Mitt Romney. Also, it is time for the clutter candidates to go. Ron Paul, Tancredo, and Gilmore need to move on and focus on their day jobs. However, I would love to see Newt get into the race. He is a intelligent Reagan-esque conservative who would do nothing but energize the base. He would especially energize it in a race against Mrs. Bill Clinton. It is possible that one of these"third tier" candidates is simply a place holder for Newt.

Finally, I want to make the bold prediction that Tommy Thompson has already locked up the VP nomination. A popular four term governor from a toss-up state is a lock. He is neutral to the rest of the field because he is supporting himself over any of the other the candidates. So, whoever else gets nominated won't eliminate Tommy because naturally Tommy supported himself for the presidential nomination.

Uncle Trick